Tuesday 21 February 2012

Stray , by Rachel Vincent

Stray (Shifters, #1)  

  
Mass Market Paperback, 618 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published May 26th 2007)
ISBN
0778324214 (ISBN13: 9780778324218)
edition language
English
original title
Stray
series
setting
Texas (United States) 

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them. I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .


My Review
I loved this book for the pure and simple fact that it was different. There was nothing else written like it that I am aware of, and if there is, they are usually somewhat cliche abnimals that they shift into. I loved the fact that a lot of detail and iamgery went into this piece because for me it just made the whole thing a worthwhile read and just made it come alive. There was adrenaline and pace within the lines that got the heart racing. There was this sense of engagement that meant you wanted to know what happened and how. The lines were powerful, the chapters enticing and the whole novel just overly well written. I think the most enjoyable bit was the fact that there was always something goin on. If it wasnt danger then it was a love traingle, or a teenager being a typical I know best kind of teenager. There just seemed to be a lot to relate to. I do admit though there were some tricky bits within the novel, not that they were expressed or described to a state where you could just not read it. But if Rape is a topic that is pretty much no go for you, then there are a few pages you may just want to skip and skim over. I suppose in some ways it just shows and represents how the author is not afraid to touch on taboo subjects, and why should she be. its just detailing things that happen in everyday life and its not something that she went into great detail about.

There always seemed to be a whole lot emotion going on within the page. there was anger, passion, sadness, frustration and fear. It just seemed to take you on this whirlling rollarcoaster of the unknown, never letting you know what you would feel next when you turned page, but also keeping you very much on edge. My favorite character of course is Faythe just because I love her feisty attitude. She reminds me of the person that I wish I could be, the kind of person who says what she thinks and how she feels. She just seems to tell it as it is and I think its this personality attribute that I love and admire because its not something that I do myself and yet wish I could do. However, the author does make both Jace and Marc out to be these wonderful sexy beasts and so you cant help but fall in love with them as well, wanting to be in their arms and to be the luck girl who has captured their hearts.

This novel is just brilliant in so many ways because it is always on the move. despite the length of it, it just means you never get bored because it doesnt just drag on without purpose. Every chapter, every page and every line has a purrpose and the story is pulled together in a wonderful manner.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...