Saturday 17 December 2011

The 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison



Fairies are sweet caring and considerate little creatures. Creatures that grant you wishes, protect you and are always there by your side. Pixies are the ones that cause trouble, cause problems and complications. There the ones who make you think your going mad by moving things around your room, or taking things from you when your not looking. Yet, this is not so in this novel. The fairies in this novel are not so nice. Some of them are, some of them are the guardian watching over your shoulder. But many of them are not. Mnay of them are out stealing and swapping babies over for their own wants and needs. And some of them are granting deeds and promises that will only be regretted later on. This was a wonderful book and I am so pleased that I actually chose to read this one next. I just loved the whole creative imaginative feel to it that just seemed to bring spark to the pages.

It really felt to me like the author had allowed her inner spirit to write the words and that she had allowed herself to become one with the book, almost as if she were the main female character who could see the fairies when no one else could. The motion and movement of the piece just seemed to heighten the imagery that was provided, meaning that more and more you were pulled into the words. I do think that the novel was slightly predictable in some places, but as such this was not a bad thing because it did not kill the engaging itnerest, but rather allowed it to keep flowing in a way that meant the reader just kept on going with it, trying to work out the real enemies and victims within the words.

I loved the fact that the bracelet actually had a lot of meaning to it, yet I still feel that there is a lot within the novel that was not covered. For example what was the bad thing that happened in the babies bedroom, how did the bracelet become the thirteen treasures and why is it so significant? I just feel that there is so much more left to discover with the novel, which is probably why its a good thing that there is a second and third novel to this sega. The male character did kind of annoy me as he seemed to be very snappy and sharp. But the more I think about it the more precise it is. In that a boy can have just a sudden of a mood swing as a female can.

I do feel that the author related to her characters, but I wonder if perhaps the focus was on them too much? Is there more than meets the eyes to her grandmother, to her mother, to warwrick and amos? I would love to just be able to read more about them so that I can discover who they are and what makes them the person that they are. There is just clearly so much more to be read with this book and I think its one to hold onto and to keep grasp of. A powerful write and I look forward to reading the sega.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...