Friday 18 November 2011

Thin by Grace Bowman

http://89.145.88.6/~gracebow/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/thin_book_cover.jpg 

This was one of those books that I had been putting of reading for a long time, due to the fact that I was constantly told how triggering it was. And people had not lied to me. The first half of the book is very triggering and in some ways it seems to be promoting anorexia than trying to show the horrors of this. But I think this all depends on the person that is reading it. For example, being someone who is still recovering my her eating disorder, I read it through the eyes of my anorexia and bulimia, instead of through the eyes of charlotte, which meant I saw tips and rules on what I should be doing. However, the author herself is just being very open and honest with her words, she is simply showing the reader her story and is not beating around the bush by hiding all the grusome truths and details.

I like the fact that the author has been completely honest with her writing because I think that this is one of those books that parents and carers ought to read in order to understand what it is that there child or even friend is going through. It shows the mental thought processes battling the emotional and physical ones. So in many ways the book reveals all the aspects of an eating disorder and shows just how destructive to a persons life it is. I found the book to be very hard to read in many places, merely because I did not want to see the truth, but also because it was triggering me in some senses, but in other senses it was giving me hope to another life.

I felt that the author has been very brave with her words here and I actually find myself commending her for what she did. She did not get the inpatient or day patient help that I have gotten, instead she decided to go it alone. She just changed her mind, even though she was never fully in control. I think the thing that is most negative about this book though is the fact that she mentions weight and at one point actually calls nine stone the nasty nine stone. this of course automatically made me feel like utter crap because all I could think now was that nine stone must be a dreadful weight to be at and so I should therefore loose the half a stone that I haved gained to make me over nine stone and then some. I think that there is a lot of positives but negatives to this book, and it depends on how strong you are feeling when you go to read it.


didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

2 comments:

  1. I had to read Thin for my psychology class. I went into it expecting to experience terrible triggers because I had before while trying to read books about eating disorders, but for the most part, I was okay. I have been recovering from anorexia and exercise bulimia for a little over four years so recovery isn't exactly new to me, but at the same time, I was cautious because I was afraid I might relapse if I thought too much about it. Like you said, the beginning was rough, but it was an inspiring ending for sure! I finally feel like I'm healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read Thin for my psychology class. I went into it expecting to experience terrible triggers because I had before while trying to read books about eating disorders, but for the most part, I was okay. I have been recovering from anorexia and exercise bulimia for a little over four years so recovery isn't exactly new to me, but at the same time, I was cautious because I was afraid I might relapse if I thought too much about it. Like you said, the beginning was rough, but it was an inspiring ending for sure! I finally feel like I'm healing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...