Sunday 8 July 2012

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy #1) by Meg Cabot

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy #1)
Paperback, 204 pages
Published September 1st 2011 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2011)
ISBN
0330453858 (ISBN13: 9780330453851)
edition language
English
original title
Abandon
literary awards
 
Last year, Pierce died - just for a moment. And when she was in the space between life and death, she met John: tall dark and terrifying, it’s his job to usher souls from one realm to the next.

There’s a fierce attraction between them, but Pierce knows that if she allows herself to fall for John she will be doomed to a life of shadows and loneliness in the underworld. But now things are getting dangerous for her, and her only hope is to do exactly what John says . . .
 
 
My Review
I'm not really sure what to make of this book. A part of me loved it and a part of me hated it. Yet I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I liked and what it was that I didn't like. I suppose the characters, like the last book I read, seemed a little of focus from the whole plot of the story. They almost feel like they are actually distant because you dont generally get to know them and that of course makes you wonder, whats the book actually about, what are the characters all about. for me a good book is always marked by the fact that you can relate and connect to them and that you can understand them, where there coming from and so forth. But with the characters in this book, there was not a lot of that in general. They just seemed to be independant parts of the book and it just felt like the plot was moving without them, that the plot didnt actually need them in order to tell the story that it wanted to tell. However, the concept of the story was interesting, different and yet cliche all rolled up into one story. You could see the whole concept of the story, what with it being the modern greek mythology tale, but it still felt like it was lacking something in the way of grasping entertainment and depth and Im wondering if thats because the characters were just so far away from the lines.
 
I did like Pierce and I liked the whole near death experience thing, but at the same time it seemed a little distant, off putting and just dead. The chapters seemed to move so fast, which is probably why it only took me an hour or so to get through the novel. I wanted to like it, and I am hoping therefore that the future books in the series will be better. I know what Meg Cabots style is like and compared to her princess diaries series, this was not like her at all. It wasnt as grasping as I remember her writing to be. I don't know, maybe its just that I am more grown up now, more mature these days, or maybe Im waiting for that logical book to grasp me and pull me into its full utter story.
 
I want to like the book though and I suppose thats a signj because it means that I am willing to be optimistic about it and to read on in order to work out what else is going to happen. This is partly therefore why I am giving it a three start writing, because I am stuck halfway between liking it and loathing it. some books like this just need you to be patient for the story to fold out afterall and as they say, patience is a virtue and for the moment it has mine!
 
  didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...