Saturday 21 April 2012

Angel , by L.A. Weatherly



Paperback, 512 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Usborne Publishing Ltd (first published September 30th 2010)
ISBN
1409521966 (ISBN13: 9781409521969)
edition language
English
original title
Angel
series
 
Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

 
 My Review
I think a huge part of me wasn't sure that this book was going to be any good. I went on reading it with a glass half empty look if you like merely because a lot of books on angels have all been similar, cliche and just plain old overdone in many aspects. But after having literally just finished reading the first book in the series I know that I want to read on and that I would happily read this book over and over again. What I love is the fact that suddenly, the characters that are so cliche produced as good people are suddenly somewhat evil and causing harm to our world. This was a whole new twist on the world of angels, but it was an effective and engaging one that pulled my mind in and seemed to state and say that life is not all butterflies and rainbows, and even the shiney things can be made of nothing but evil. The author has a lot of talent when it comes to making the book come alive, because my mind was active the whole time that I was reading it. Yes in some places it did seem oh so very simple and boring, but in other places you found yourself hooked to the pages, just not wanting to put the book down, always saying just one more chapter and then reading on. for me this is always the sign of a good book because it means that I want to read it and that I am enjoying it, not having to force myself to read and finish it.

The romance of course is predicted right from the beginning of the book but I don't think it was meant to be something that was hidden or kept secret because of the extract on the back of the book that actually suggests it anyway. So really, I wasn't overly dissapointed in the romance. It didn't move oh so fast like a lot of the young adult books, but, when they did get together it did seem to be overly romantic, like they were oh so lovey dovey can't get enough of each other. so yes that was a little bit sickening because the love scenes were just slightly over produced, but overall it didn't ruin the entire novel and what it had to offer. I think I have to say my favorite scenes between them though is the more argumental ones, but the ones where they are also starting to get to know each other because that just feels more real and alive in so many ways. The whole book just flows with this sense of passion.

However what I love most about this book is the fact that it is written from the views of different person and so that although willow is obviously the most important characters in the book, you get to see the world through the others perspective as well. thats always a good move to make witha  book because it means that you get a feel for the whole book and all of its characters, rather than just one or the other. I think the surprising aspect was discovering who her father was. I suppose at the end of the novel it does seem a little obvious but at the same time, when your reading it, you can't actually guess it at all. So it does keep you holding on. It ends with the perfect cliff hanger that leaves you wondering what will happen next and if she will succed in doing what she has the potential to do. There is just a lot of what ifs, and hows left in your mind at the end of thebook that you actually find yourself itching to read the next one.

I am giving this a four out of five star rating, because although I enjoyed the book, I do not think it was perfect. there was still some aspects within it that could have done with some editing and changing about but it wasn't substantial and could easily be solved. I did find myself skimming it in some places but that could be just that I wanted to find out what happened. overall it is a well written book and is one that I would happily recommend to anyone that wanted to read it but hadn't got round to it.
 
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...