Sunday 19 February 2012

Shadows , by Amy Meredith

Shadows (Dark Touch, #1)

Paperback, 240 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Red Fox
ISBN
1849410518 (ISBN13: 9781849410519)
edition language
English
series
 
Fifteen-year-old Eve Evergold is cute, sassy and enjoying a busy social life. What she doesn't know yet is that someone close to her is an evil demon that only she has the supernatural power to defeat. She needs to work out who it is - and fast! Because although there's something very attractive about the dark side...dating a demon? Pure hell!
 
  
 
My Review
I think I am in two frame of minds when it came to this book, unsure as to whether I liked it or did not like it. I think and feel that there was certainly a lot of aspects tot this book to like, but at the same time I just couldn't help but wonder if it was all a little to cliche, something that had been done before just with different characters and settings. I think that one thing which annoys me when it comes to books like this is the fact that they all seem to be set in either similar or same locations. Wouldn't it not be nice to read a novel like this based somewhere different, like india, or england, or holland. It could just spice up the novel a little. I know that authors tend to stick with the areas that they know best, but in all honest if a book is fictional and about demons and what not, does the location have to really be non-fiction and real. wouldn't even the possiblity of creating a whole new town thats different to the rest, just add a little something to the novel in general. I think I grew to like Jess and Eve as I read through the noivel. But I could not help but image them like the girls you see in shows such as 90210, or the Oc. those stuck up type of girls who go around spending as much money as possible on whatever the hell they want. Yes I suppose it was different to the other types of main characters that you get in the novel, but at the same time would it really harm the author to paint a real girl into their novel. a girl that is not perfect looking with a slim body and beautiful long dark hair, because in reality, no girl ever really looks that perfect, and just by painting something that has a real sense to it, character wise that is, you fid yourself being able to relate to them a lot better. Just a thought to ponder on there I think.
 
It was obvious though that Luke was not the baddy in this book. it was very clearly mal as after all he was the quiet, good looking bad boy who had a very suspicious atmosphere to him. whereas luke was far to obvious. he was a player and everyone knew, and he thought he was the best thing in town, and again everyone knew it. so of course it wouldn't make sense to have someone so bovious play the baddy in the novel. though I must admit it would have been a nice change to the outline and would have had that little o0o0o0 emphasis to it. But I could also see the appeal and attraction to mal. there was something about his personality that drew you in, like it did with eve. you found yourself wanting that first kiss with him as well and to be noticed and known by him, where as Luke came across as good looking but also irritating because he was a little stuck up to say the least. There was imagery in the novel, and as or imagination and creativity, yes there was a little of that as well. But I felt that there was still something missing to the plot. perhaps this is to all be brought up in the next books of the series, or perhaps its something that is purposely left out in order to create that feeling of mystery that leaves you wanting more and more. whose to say and know, as we all read into our books differently from one another.
 
I did enjoy it though, and I do find myself wanting to finish the rest of the series. I wouldnt say it was badly written afterall. I just wouldnt say it was the best novel to read within the young adult category because I have most certainly read better. Bu it was an entertaining read that got your adrenaline going just a little bit. But there was and is also room for improvement. Te novel itself carries potential and I just hope that the rest of the series does not leave me disappointed.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...