Thursday 16 February 2012

Finding Sky , by Joss Stirling

Finding Sky (Benedict, #1)

Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 7th 2010 by OUP Oxford
ISBN
0192732137 (ISBN13: 9780192732132)
original title
Finding Sky
series
 
When Sky catches a glimpse of Zed for the first time, lounging against his motorbike at school, she is drawn to him just like every other girl in Wickenridge. But Zed sees something special in her that the other girls don't have. Zed tells her they are both Savants - people with special powers like telepathy and the ability to see into the future. Not only that, she is a Savant too, and his soulfinder - meant to be together.

When a soulfinder speaks telepathically to her partner, it's like all the lights coming on in a building. You lit me up like Vegas. But for Sky it's just not that easy - she's a mystery to herself, haunted by nightmares from her past before she was adopted, and riddled with doubt and insecurity. Just when Sky is slowly coming round to the idea of being with Zed she is kidnapped by a family of criminal Savants. In a chilling twist, Sky and Zed's relationship is put to the ultimate test and the fate of those she loves lie in Sky's hands. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the dark demons of her past prevent her from realising her true potential?
 
My Review
It took me a little while to actually get into tbhhis book which is why it took me so long to read. I just found myself getting bored by it very easily, picking it up, only to put it down again. Reading it, only to find myself skimming the pages. Perhaps I was just not in the right frame of mind when I was reading it. Or perhaps it was one of those books that was harped up to be better than it actually was, like the twilight sega was, or maybe I was tired of reading something that seems to have been written over and over and over again. I like the young adult novels, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to read something refreshing rather than something that is cliche and just well obvious right from the beginning. It seems to me that all the authors make the bad guy the one the girl falls in love with, who is her soul mate and so forth, and yes, it does get a little tiresome after a while. I like variety in my nbooks, because that means my mind is always active. Now don't get me wrong, because there were some interesting elements ot this book, however, I didn't like the fact that you never really got to know much about their talents and specialities. Like, you got told what they were, but not really. It just seemed to be a book that was all over the place. there were bits here and there but the order seemed a little... shattered to me.
 
I liked the plot, and I feel that perhaps it would have been a good plot had it been established on more. But to me it just felt that there was something missing. she escaped too easily, she was kidnapped too easily, she was saved too easily, she fell in love to easily. The author had clearly tried to put in the sense of mystery but at the end of it all it wasn't really there, because it was not as mysterious as it was made out to be. I just... Im not jumping and raving about this book to be honest. It's just another cliche young adult, made out to be better than it was in my opinon.
 
However, there was a lot of potential here, and I think that perhaps if the writer was to elaborate on her ideas a bit more, she could produce something really amazing. the characters were there and the plot ideas were there, they were just not as well presented as I felt that they could be. Maybe its just me though. I liked it... just not as much as I hoped to like it.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...