Tuesday 3 January 2012

Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez


Paperback, 256 pages
Published October 27th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (first published October 18th 2011)
ISBN
0857072846 (ISBN13: 9780857072849)
edition language
English
original title
Virtuosity
characters
 
Now is not the time for Carmen to fall in love. Two weeks before the most important violin competition of her career, she has bigger things to worry about—like growing out of that suffocating “child prodigy” label, and not disappointing her mother. But it isn’t just the wrong time. It’s the wrong guy. Jeremy is Carmen’s most talented rival, and according to her mother, he’s only interested in one thing: winning.

He isn’t the only one.

Carmen is so desperate to win she takes anti-anxiety drugs to control performance nerves. But what started a year ago as an easy fix is now a hungry addiction. Her mother insists now is not the time to quit, but Carmen is sick of not feeling anything on stage and even more sick of doing what she’s told.

When the darker side of the classical music industry and her mother's ambition collide, Carmen must choose between her career and her love for music
  
 
 My Review
Many people know that I usually only read fantasy based books, books based on angels, vampires and fairies. But this book was entirely different and yet I found myself really enjoying it because the story was refreshing and new. I felt that the book gave the reader to take a look into the world of those kids that are talented and are pushed to go beyond their basic talent by their parents and family. The storyline is perhaps basic for many others, but for me it was interesting and engaging because it felt real and it felt fluid whilst reading it. One problem that I tend to find with books is that the ending is rushed because the beginning has dragged on, but in this novel, it all flowed fluidly and evenly and nothing felt rushed or dragged out at all. I did feel that the author had taken the time to write something that felt real, making the imagery feel real and alive by getting her readers to connect to the words whilst reading it.

What I loved though was the story about the forbidden romance, the rich dad and the over secretive and pushy mum. It made me realize just how lucky I am to have a family that is supportive of my talents but never ever push me beyond my limits of what I want and don't want to do. The forbidden love romance was done very well. It was not over romantic, and it was not over abusive. It was done just right. It showed how two members of the same competition can be envious of one another and feel like they are being used by the other, and yet at the same time can become friends who like one another. The story just really seemed to show how sometimes it is the person that we are most envious of and skeptical about, that we love and want to be with. 

I also loved the fact that she did not just run of with him at the end. The ending was not cliche. in fact the book just felt very naturally written, almost as if someone had set a DVD in front of me and I was watching life unfold before my very eyes. In my opinion it was a great book and I very much enjoyed reading it.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...