Thursday 5 January 2012

Matched by Ally Condie


Hardcover, 366 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by Dutton Juvenile (first published November 2010)
ISBN
0525423648 (ISBN13: 9780525423645)
edition language
English
original title
Matched
series
literary awards
 
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
 

My Review
Right from the first word I found myself falling in love with this book, finding myself unable to put it down, to stop reading. I just wanted to carry on till I had finished it and actually found myself getting annoyed when people messaged me and disturbed me. The concept of this novel was very well done in a very imaginative scene that captures the readers minds, hearts and imaginations. The book is sort of a worse case of an arrange marriage, where instead of just your partner being chosen for you, your whole life is planned out for you, how many children you will have, where you will work and what job you will have. The book takes you into a whole new world where you are made to think about how much freedom you have in your life, how we have the right to choose what we do or do not do with it. The book just makes you appreciate your life that little bit more.

What I liked most about this book though was the fact that the characters were extremely relatable to. In my mind I could clearly vision them and in many ways I actually felt like I was a part of their friendship group, going out to play games or go see a show or something or another. This for me was a good factor because it meant that the novel had the ability to pull me into a whole new world so that I could really grasp the book adn have my interest abducted by its words. Cassia is an amazing character who just seems so real. She is cliche with her reactions because it is the way that she is brought up to act and believe, but the way she rebels and learns what she wants in life reminds me of the teenager that I use to be, where I just did not care what happened or how or when.

I did find myself falling in love with Ky, but it was the shock of the fact that words and poetry and such were just not allowed in this world. If that were to ever come true I think I would break apart. But the book is very good at making you see that not every culture is the same and I do feel that the author has put a lot of morals and meanings into her book to make her readers reflect on their own lives, to what they do wrong, what they could change etc. It was a powerfully effective and captivating book and I want the next one right this minute, but unfortunately I have to wait for it.... patience is a virtue though. LOVED IT!!!

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...