Monday 16 January 2012

City of Ashes , by Cassandra Clare


Paperback, 464 pages
Published (first published March 25th 2008)

original title
City of Ashes
setting
New York City, New York, 2007 (United States)

literary awards
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation


My Review
I seriously think Ill need to join some addict group after finishing this series because I am finding myself unable to put the book down and when I have to, I am somewhat reluctant about it. The series just seems to thrive as it goes on which makes it rather unique compared to others that I had read. Usually in a series the second book drags on to become somewhat pointless, but no, this didn't happen with City of Ashes. There was all the same thing as there was in the first book and more. There was drama, mystery, death, violence, emotions. There was just a whole lot going on and yet it wasn't so much that you found yourself becoming overwhelmed with the novel and what it held. I loved the way that the relationship was suggested between Simon and Clary, but at the same time I kinda do hope that someone will discover that Jace and Clary are not really siblings after all and so they can be together. Because they seem to have that love hate relationship within the novel that just makes it thrive. However, what I like about these novels the most is the fact that it does not base itself entirely around the romantic elements. It sticks to the plot and storyline, which I know can ve very difficult to do, Especially when the author gets caught up in the romance as well.

The characters are well displayed and expressed that you get this huge sense of them being alive and well... real. I was a little suspicious about Simon and had semi suspected him being a vampire towards the beginning of the book when he had asked Clary if he looked any different to her. So that was a little predictable. In some senses that could have been made far more exciting, but I wonder if it had been, would we be missing out on other elements of the book. Maia, seems to be an adorable character and I really grew to like her. She reminded me of my teenage sister in some ways. A girl who wants to be strong and independant and yet at the same time they are some what vulnerable and just need to be protected for their own good and safety and yet never seem to listen to the advice that is offered to them. Valentine, reminds me very much of spike from Buffy, and yet Im not sure I can pinpoint why. I think its because you can almost see this ability for him to be a good guy, and yet he is all bad at the core as well. I just get the feeling that there is a good streak within him. Whether we see it though is a question of its own.

I did cry when it appeared that Simon had died because it just did not seem fair at all. Why would one of the main characters die? I was screaming internally with the book at this point, demanding the words changed to make it all some sort of evil joke. However, I was glad that I read on and I suppose when I look back at it, how could he have died. A vampire usually only dies when they are staked through the heart, or thats what I have always read anyway. I do love this series and I find myself drooling over the pages because of how much imagination they steal from you. And yet it is imagination that I am willing to hand over. The books just come to life as your reading them and there is never ever a single bad moment in them or a boring moment. Its vibrant, powerful and always on the move. the words just seem to have adrenaline of their own.

Needless to say, I am loving this series and the author is now on my list of top ten authors to follow and dedicate my reading time too.
  
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...