Saturday 7 January 2012

Book of Shadows , by Cate Tiernan


Paperback, 192 pages
Published February 7th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 29th 2001)
ISBN
0141314001 (ISBN13: 9780141314006)
edition language
English
original title
Book of Shadows
series
characters
 
Morgan thinks witchcraft is laughable when her best friend Bree drags her to a meeting of the Cirrus Coven. But during a cermony led by Cal, Morgan's long-time crush, Morgan feels a shock. Suddenly everything looks brighter, clearer. Morgan doesn't want to get involved with witchcraft-but she feels like witchcraft is choosing her.
 
 My Review
It may be a short book but it is appearing to be a very interesting series. I found the first book of the series to be very addictive and engaging because it was different, unique but it also spoke of truth. Wicca is something that I have been interested in for a while. I would love to learn about it and understand it more, but I also could not break away from my Catholic religion. So I thought reading a book based on the religion would be close enough for me to learn about it a little, whilst enjoying a young adult fantasy novel. I felt that the book was written very well with a way of making the characters spring and come to life as you read it. Of course the new guy is always the most grogeous and fit looking guy in the school and yes this did irritate me a little because it would be nice for a normal blend into the crowd sort of guy to be mentioned for once, as the fake fit guy just breaks away from that sense of reality.
 
Although the book was a fantasy novel it really did seem to teach the reader the way of Wicca, in that it made it clear that it was not a religion based on satan, that it was merely based on doing good and being one with the elements of the earth. I found that it was actually written in a very simplistic way, but not over simplistic that you became bored with it. Instead there was enough drama to have you captivated, like the best friend who appears to be a bitch and who only wants the guy, and then the others who are there merely for the sake of making the crowd, but have potential to broaden out and become good friends at the end of it all. Yes it was obvious that something between Morgan and Cal was going to happen, but the way it ended was ok, but it was cliche but still somewhat magical and when your a romantic sweetheart at heart, you take what you are given.
It is a short book, so I am therefore thankful that I have the rest of the series reserved and withdrawn from the library and now look forward to moving on to the next one. I just found myself wanting to know more and that passion and urge to research up wicca was raging throughout me the whole time I was reading the book. You can tell this book was written with passion, perhaps by a person who truly believes and follows the wicca religion. either way, I really enjoyed the novel and look forward to reading more.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...