Thursday 29 December 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


Hardcover, 328 pages
Published June 12th 2007 by HarperTeen
ISBN
0061214655 (ISBN13: 9780061214653)
original title
Wicked Lovely
literary awards
 
All teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see? A debut fantasy romance for the ages; superlative summer read

My Review
Well, it was an ok book. It wasn't as agood as what I was expecting it to be, but it wasn't that bad either. It was a sort of sideline read that had a lot of potential within it that could be expanded on and worked on. I suppose when reading though, we all have different feelings and opinions about how a book could be written or should have been written. However, I do not want my readers to think that I thought the book was bad, because it wasn't it just had a lot of room for expansion and potential, but then perhaps this is the reason for why there is a series? I liked the story of the fey, on how they needed one special person to change the world, and how if they got the wrong person a life would be cursed upon them that was not pleasent, but instead very chilling.

However, I got a little annoyed by how keenan was presented within the novel. I felt that there was so much more that could have been written about him, for he felt like he was just rushed into the story and that the reader didn't really get to read about him and who he was. After all, did he really want the new summer queen aislin, or did he want his past lover? What was his true feelings about everything that was happening? Who was he really and what did he like. I just felt that the author could have given him more character and personality to make the readers really fall in love with him. Instead I found myself falling in love with seth, the tough bad boy with the reputation who was really a hard falling romantic who only wanted to give his heart to one girl.

I did like the two main mortal characters though and felt that they were presented well, not excellentally but well enough for you to get a feel of them. In some places the story did feel very slow, but in other places it felt too rushed, almost as if things were purposely missed out. Yes you could see there was this huge potential for it to become a series, but at the same time the ending didn't really provide that feeling of a cliffhanger which a lot of books that are part of a series offers, so in this sense it doesnt allow the reader to get this urge to continue reading, to want the last one. I don't know, perhaps I am being a picky wotsit with this book?

I did like it and I did enjoy it, and I shall continue to read the series merely so that I can see if the book will continue to develop and meet the standards of depth, imagination, perosnality and character. But if your a lover of fey novels then I would not suggest this book as a top priority read, but a read if your bored and wanting something new.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...