Saturday 10 December 2011

Ash by Malinda Lo



If you wanted a book where its a cinderella meets fairy twist, then this is your book because thats exactly what it is. A book that isnt afraid to take chances and risks, that is willing to go where most authors will not. I had ummed and arghed about reading this, going back and fourth to it, regarding whether I really wanted to. And I am certainly glad that I did. we all know the story of cinderella, about how she looses her mother and father and then becomes a servant to her evil step mother. But this book has a whole new twist, because instead of a fairy godmother, she has the fairies, the ones who make wishes and deals with her, who don't really help her out in the way the godmother did, but in a way that teachers her lessons about love.

The book flowed from one chapter to the next, perhaps a little slow in places, but none the less adventurous. I wouldn't say its the best book in the world, but its fun if you just want a little bit of fantasy in your life, where you can read something that doesn't really have to be real at all. I loved the detail of the story, the way the author brought all her characters to life. But what I loved the most was the daring move she made when it came to love and romance. Most authors probably would have written that the character falls in love with the king, but in this one she doesnt. She falls in love with the Huntress, a female. I loved the way the author was not afraid to introduce diversity here in her lines, that she was afraid to show a normal fact of love.

I just felt that there was this huge sense of reality, in how your life can be twisted upside down just like that, that not everyone in this world is nice, in fact there are many out there who can be cruel and unkind. I just loved the whole motive of the book, it was different, engaging and inspiring and I give it a deffo four out of five stars for its unique fairy tale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...