Tuesday 28 August 2012

The Forest of Hands and Teeth , by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)
Paperback, 323 pages
Published March 1st 2010 by Gollancz (first published March 10th 2009)
ISBN
0575090863 (ISBN13: 9780575090866)
edition language
English
original title
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
characters
literary awards
 
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?
Carrie Ryan lives in Charlotte, North Carolina. You can visit Carrie at www.carrieryan.com.



 My Review
I am not entirely sure what to make of this novel. A part of me wanted to love and enjoy it whilst the other half wanted to hate it and rip it apart for its lack of entertainment and enjoyment. For me the book was just not all it cracked up to be. Yes by all means there was something retrospectable different and uncliche about it but at the same time I could not get along with the whole context and style that it was written in. It was almost like it was trying to hard to be my favorite book and best friend and yet I was not willing to accept it into my life. I didn't find myself connecting to the characters and the way that the book started just felt so rushed for me. It was almost like there should have been another book before it, one explaining how the world came to be that way in the first place, that there was something and someone that set it all off and that we begin to understand how everything occurs. Instead I felt like I was slammed down into a middle of a war without weapons or knowledge of who it was that I was up against. There just wasnt any reference realy to old characters that were still mentioned and the author kept trying to slip details of the past back into the novel when we had no clue of what the past actually enthralled and endured.

I tried my best to understand what it was that the characters were going through, trying my best to connect to them as best as I could but there was just smething so fake and fraud like about her that regardless of my efforts I could not connect with her. For me the makings of a good novel is one where you settle not just your mind within the pages but your whole self, so that you become the book and the book becomes you. Every page and chapter for me felt rushed though, felt like it was being pushed through in the hopes of actually becoming something amazing. The characters seemed nothing more but whingey and whiney and yes whilst I am ready to admit and accept that we are actually all like this in life and society, we are not that whingy and whiney and when itt comes to it, we would do whatever we could to reach a safer environment and make the most of the life that we have.

Maybe I am just being pathetic over the book, maybe it just wasnt a book meant for me as I am sure that many others enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong there were some good elements to the book and I would be a little, and by a little I mean a huge little, to read the remainder of the series merely to see if it improved. It did seem to get better after all closer to the end, the characters seemed a little more belieavable and I wanted to see what was going to happen next. I do think there is potential for the novel and I will read on merely to see the next scenes play out.
  
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...