Monday 17 October 2011

The Piano Teacher by Janice Lee Y.K

I'm not really sure where to start with this book as there seemed to be alot going on within it and yet at the same time it seemed and felt simplistic enough to understand. I suppose it was the travelling back and fourth time that perhaps could add a little confusion, especially if you were caught deep within the book that you missed reading the title of the chapter. However, it was the back and fourthing between two different time periods that made up the story that I felt was rather unique and actually didn't seem to link into the title of the book all that much. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is a piano teacher in the novel, but I expected the tale to be more about her and less about the war went on and the dilemmas that happened with some of the very most important main characters. I did like the visonary detail that was given to me though as I read it, as I felt that it provided me a whole new experience of the war and what it was like for people in different countries. I think when we think back to the war we tend to think of our own country and the opposing country, forgetting really the major effects that it had on those around us in other countries.

But this book provides us with a lot of open and detail information that really helps to liven the plot and give it that sense of characteristic that all novels should really have. for me it just felt that the author was writing from a story that she herself had been personally told, or perhaps even experienced. You could feel yourself becoming one with the characters, understanding what it was that they were going through and broadening there emotions even more. I do feel though that perhpas there was a lot more room for improvement on the novel. there just seemed to be a few pages that felt as if they were lacking things. Almost as if the author got bored of writing her own book and so she wanted to end it as quickly as possible. But perhaps this is just my own judgement as we all read books differently.

This is not to say, however, that I did not like the novel, as I did. it was something new and interesting for me and I find that these styles of books open my eyes to other styles, allowing me to see that there is a whole world outside of the fantasy and myths, that it doesnt always have to be vampires and fallen angels, that it can be about the things that happened in the real world. It was a very enjoyable book though I was a little disappointed by the ending as I felt that it finished rather abruptly, and that it could have used perhaps a more emotionally gripping depth to it, something that could really make the reader go oh....

but it is a worthwhile read if you want something a bit more historical and different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...